Oregon’s commercial music economy and impact have never been examined. Existing at the crossroads of business and culture, the economic realities of professional, independent music have never been counted, so no surprise that it is not visible to policymakers or investors. For the first time, through the advocacy efforts of MusicPortland and MusicOregon, the state legislature has funded comprehensive emerging sector market analysis of commercial music and live performance.
This brief (<10 minute) ANONYMOUS music census will collect the state’s first quantified information about the economic, employment, and demographic scope of Oregon’s music economy.
The census will be used by Business Oregon and researchers at the Portland State University Northwest Economic Research Center (NERC) to complete the state’s first economic impact studies of Commercial Music and Live Performance. With the information you provide, we can tell our collective story to Oregon policymakers and better advocate for music-supporting policies, programs, and funding that our music community deserves.
YOU NEED TO COMPLETE THIS CENSUS IF YOU
- Earn ANY income from any music-related venture,
- Are an income-generating recording, composing, or performing musical artist,
- Teach any form of music/ music educator (of any age group),
- Own or operate a business that hosts live music (everything from a dedicated concert hall to occasional live music programming at a bar or restaurant),
- Own or manage any kind of commercial music business, including (but not limited to) a recording studio, record label, music retailer, instrument or gear maker or fixer, professional support (manager, agent, lawyer, etc.), distribution & marketing, creative support (video, photography, graphic design, etc.).
Once you have finished, please share this link (www.oregonmusiccensus.org) via your social channels and with all of your Oregon professional music peers to strongly encourage them to do the same by January 15, 2023.
Thank you in advance for participating in the Oregon Music Census! Please answer all questions to the best of your ability, and press “submit” at the end. CLICK HERE TO BEGIN the SURVEY.