* WHAT…Large waves, hazardous surf conditions and sneaker waves.
* WHERE…In Washington, South Washington Coast. In Oregon, North Oregon Coast.
* WHEN…From 1 PM Sunday to midnight PST Sunday night.
* IMPACTS…Destructive waves may wash over beaches, jetties, and other structures unexpectedly. People can be swept off rocks and jetties and drown while observing high surf. Minor beach erosion may damage coastal properties and buildings. Higher than normal water run-up is expected on beaches and low-lying shoreline.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Waves can run up significantly farther on a beach than normal, including over rocks and jetties. Sneaker waves can suddenly knock people off of their feet and quickly pull them into the frigid ocean which may lead to serious injury or drowning.
* AFFECTED AREAS: NORTH OREGON COAST … SOUTH WASHINGTON COAST
A High Surf Advisory means that high surf will affect beaches, producing rip currents, sneaker waves and beach erosion. Stay well back from the water’s edge and be alert for exceptionally high waves. Keep away from large logs on the beach. Water running up on the beach can easily lift or roll logs which can injure or kill someone caught in their path.